Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Staff Spotlight: Britt Quinn

     In the fourth installment of this series, Britt Quinn will answer questions for our 
"Staff Spotlight"! 


1. Where did you grow up? 

I grew up on Chicago's southside.

2. Where did you go to school-high school, college, grad school?

I attended Maria High School!  After high school I attended North Central College; a small United Methodist institution in Naperville, IL. I received my non-denominational ordination after I graduated from college.

3. Did you know you've always wanted to work in the field you’re in now? 

I've always wanted to work in the non-profit sector. 

When I was in high school I volunteered at the International Museum of Surgical Science in Chicago's Gold Coast neighborhood. I loved every moment of it. I went on to work there as the Education Coordinator after college. I learned so much about worthwhile causes, fundraising, grant writing, and philanthropy. I knew that the non-profit sector was where I wanted to dedicate my time.

In school, I worked for my college's Information and Technology Services Dept. This is where I learned many of the technological skills I use today. 

A religious atmosphere has been important to me-- it's a large part of why I chose North Central as the place where I'd continue my education. 

Working here has been an interesting position-- it's merged all of my major interests and talents in one place. Every day is something new, and I know I'm making a difference.


4. What is your favorite thing about the Center? 

I love everything about the Center. This is the first place I've ever worked where I find myself excited to come to my office in the morning. 

The students we work with make my day. I know I'm doing something good everyday by being here for them. One day we will be able to expand our reach beyond students-- and that will be so exciting. There are so many positive implications for the work we are doing here. It's going to be amazing to see what happens as the Center evolves. 

5. What is your favorite food?

That's difficult. I love food, as an experience. Trying new things is one of the best parts of my daily routine. Overall, I'm always in the mood for sushi... particularly escolar. 

I would eat some right now... let's go get sushi.

6. What is your favorite book? Why?

That's another tough question. While I cannot pick a "favorite"-- Paulo Coehlo's works have had an intense impact on my life. "The Alchemist" was the first Coehlo work I read. His passages on love, the universe conspiring to help you, and taking charge of personal destinies really spoke to me.


A special thanks to Britt for taking the time to answer these questions!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment