Thursday, April 24, 2014

Reflection: Pay it Forward


Our teens are very active in our daily Reflection. We regularly have teens who ask to lead prayer, share stories, and seek to support their peers in a special way.




Yesterday Ms.Eckhouse received a note from one of our team leaders, Tamara. She wanted to share a special story with her peers.

Tamara quieted her peers and invited them to join her at the altar.

"Over break I got to 'pay it forward'-- and I can't even tell you how good that felt. There aren't words. I was on the bus, and I had just got on and paid my fare. As I was coming on, there was a lady behind me who couldn't find her card. She was frustrated and upset-- and she couldn't pay for her ride. So, I gave her the card in my hand. I had an extra ride on it-- and I didn't need it. She was so thankful, and it made her whole day better."

The teens listened and nodded in agreement.

"What does it mean? What does it mean to 'pay it forward' for you?"

The students began to talk about nice things that someone had done for them... with no reason. They shared stories of buying each other cookies in the lunch line,  and helping a friends pay for things they could not afford.

Every person in that Reflection had an example of what Tamara was describing--they just didn't have a word for it. Now they can pass on that awesome spirit of philanthropy and care that is so present here at the MKC.

No comments:

Post a Comment