Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Volunteer Spotlight: Melanie "Meljoy" Lyke

  In this installment of this series, Melanie Lyke will answer questions for our 
"Staff Spotlight"! 



1.       Where did you grow up? 

I grew up in Markham, a suburb just south of Chicago.

2.       Where did you go to school-high school, college, grad school? 

I went to Homewood-Flossmoor Community High School in Flossmoor, IL and graduated in 2001. I then went to Howard University in Washington, D.C. from 2001-2006 (yeah, 5 years) where I earned a B.F.A. in Fashion Merchandising. In 2012, I went back to school to get my Teaching Certification from Eastern Illinois University.

3.       Did you know you've always wanted to work in the field you’re in now? What drew you to the MKC?

I always knew I wanted to work in Fashion and a creative field but I didn't figure out until recently that I wanted to work with youth. I come from a family of teachers so that was the last thing I wanted to do as a career. I eventually gave in to the calling and now I can't imagine doing anything else.

4.        What is your favorite thing about the Center?

My favorite thing about the Center is how much love has been put into helping the youth grown into well-rounded people. The Directors and staff always have their wheels turning trying to find new ways to keep students engaged in learning new things while allowing them to express themselves creatively. It truly is a place that is centered around the youth and their development. I also love that there is an aspect of Spirituality that helps them to grow in that area as well.

5.       What is your favorite food?

I REALLY love Thai food. I know the Thai food I've had is very "Americanized" compared to what's actually eaten in Thailand but still love it.

6.       What is your favorite book? Why?

Not to sound cheesy but I really do love the Bible. It has so much about the human experience, history, wisdom and truth in it's pages. I feel like I can relate to people that lived thousands of years ago and learn from their mistakes/successes. 


A special thanks to Melanie for taking the time to answer these questions!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment